Thursday, July 25, 2013

Summer Camp 2013 - Session 4 - July 8-12, 2013 - 7-9th Grade

Dear Prayer Warriors,

Last week I, Brittany, had the opportunity to minister to three junior high girls. My time spent with Emily stands out the most. She is currently in a foster home, but will possibly be able to move in with either her mother or father soon. I discovered this during our Bible study where we examined Proverbs 3:5-6. In the study the campers learned their part: 1. Trust in the Lord with all their heart, 2. Lean not on their own understanding, and 3. Acknowledge him in all their ways. They also learned God’s part: He will direct their paths. This concept caught Emily’s attention as she will soon have the big decision of which parent to live with. She immediately began asking questions regarding how she can know what God wants her to do. I was amazed at her genuine interest in God’s plan for her life. Her questions continued throughout the week, but became much deeper as she pondered how God could hear and respond to the countless prayers offered up all around the world. As she learned more about the providence and love of God her heart was able to accept Jesus as her Savior! Before leaving camp Emily was reassured that despite the home she lives in, God’s love will never fail her. 

I, Irene, showed up on Monday prepared to be on staff and last second was switched to be a counselor. It was all in God’s plan for it to be so. I had three beautiful teenage girls. We clicked immediately. Coming into this week, I think I forgot how different junior high girls can be. It was like a flash back to middle school days, where our worlds revolved around gossip, boys, and looks. A lot of our one-on-ones consisted of tears, testimonies, and advice. I’m so thankful all my girls opened up to me, and they all even shared their testimonies during camp fire time. An example of my girls would be when they were changing in their tents to get ready for pool, one asked, “Who’s the prettiest girl at camp?” The other responded, “Me!”

It was definitely a challenge as some had huge egos, and some lacked a lot of self-esteem. Bita, who was born into a Muslim home and whose father beat her mother, was one such camper. For the first time at camp she heard she was beautiful when I said it to her. However, she just couldn’t seem to believe it. God is incredible, and spoke through me, especially during our one-on-ones. I got to point her to places in the Bible like Psalm 139 where it talks about humans being fearfully and wonderfully made and how we’re all created in God’s image. My girls really appreciated our conversations, and halfway through the week they were telling me how they knew that God put me as their counselor for a reason. I realized in the end how, even as an adult, we can still fixate our minds on those petty things. From the perspective of a counselor to a camper we just beg for them to know they’re beautiful and loved, and to not give into gossip. However, how many times do we think those negative thoughts about ourselves, or slide into small gossip?

We are pouring out God’s love and teaching the campers, but at the same time God is teaching us things as well! Thank you for all your prayers. It was another amazing week here at Camp Alandale! All of the glory goes to God.

Blessings,
Brittany Barger and Irene Hackett (Staff-Counselors)

No comments:

Post a Comment