Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Camp 2013 - Session 7. July 29-Aug 3, 2013 - 10-12th Grade

Dear Prayer Coordinators,

Thank you so much for your prayers over the past few weeks. We were genuinely unsure whether Camp would be spared from the mountain fire, but it turned out it was in God's plan to finish the summer. The staff returned to Camp on Tuesday July, 23rd in order to clean up and prepare for our first high school camp of the year, Session #7 from July 29 – August 3. Thanks for praying with us.

As a young staff member, at first I was a little apprehensive about counseling high schoolers. But, as is always the case with God, He did not give me more than I could handle. My first camper, Blaine, remembered me from three years ago, making it easy to build a relationship with him. Blaine thought he was a committed Christian but talked about how he didn't think you needed to go to church or read the Bible in order to maintain a close relationship with God. As Bible studies went on throughout the week, it came to light that he suffered from a form of Dyslexia and had difficulty reading. God found other ways to minister to Blaine at Camp, though – one of Karen's solos about forgiveness had him breaking down in tears. When I asked him later he said it was because the song made him realize he needed to forgive his dad's girlfriend, who had hurt him in the past.

My other camper, James, was more of a challenge. James had been coming to Camp for seven years and had yet to give his life to Christ. At our first meal I inadvertently made myself James’ enemy when I enforced the “two cookie per meal” rule by taking several Oreos off his plate. For the rest of the day he wouldn't even talk to me! When it came time for our one-on-one, I had to get the Director to talk to him before he agreed to go with me. He would provide the occasional one word response when I asked about his interests, but every time I brought up God he became silent. This attitude continued throughout the rest of the night and for the next few days – James would disregard rules and choose not to participate in most camp activities. I decided that the disciplinarian approach wasn't working and realized that if this boy was going to change, it was going to have to be through God's power and not my own. At dinner Wednesday night I noticed our team Junior Counselor writing some Japanese characters – since one of Justin's favorite things to do was watch Japanese anime. I started a conversation between the two of them and James talked for the longest I had seen him talk so far. Something about having a simple, civilized conversation really impacted him. After testimony time that night, I asked him about his testimony. For about five minutes he just sat there in silence, but then out of the blue he just sat up and told me his story for the next twenty minutes. His parents alternated between abusing him and leaving him on his own for days at a time. Eventually CPS was called and Justin bounced from abusive group home to abusive group home. He said the worst part was that wherever he went he was treated like a little kid. He responded to this treatment by running away, shoplifting, and smoking pot. After opening up to me, although he was not the perfect camper, his attitude towards me and towards Camp changed. He began answering questions in amphitheater and even asked the director to repeat a verse so he could look it up later. Our one-on-ones became livelier, but he would still avoid the topic of God, at least outwardly. By Saturday I had become concerned that he had yet to tell me that he really believed the Gospel. I asked him if he at least believed that Jesus walked the Earth. His response astounded me - “Of course. How else would he have died for our sins?”

Often times at Camp we are blessed in that we get to see the fruits of our labors, as I did with Blaine. Other times, like with James, we only get to see glimpses of God's work. Either way, we thank Him for his provision and you for your continuous prayer.

                                In Christ,

Michael Bacon and the Camp Alandale Family

No comments:

Post a Comment