Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Summer Camp 2012 Session 4 - July 23-27 - High School


Dear Praying Friends,

            I want to begin by thanking all of you for your spirit-filled and powerful prayers for our campers last week. God was more than faithful to answer your prayers concerning the staff, counselors, junior counselors, and campers last week. We feel so blessed to be here at Camp Alandale and take part in God’s ministry first-hand. However, our work would not be possible without yours, for which we are so grateful. During this past week, July 23-27, God moved in mighty ways.

            As a counselor last week I faced quite a few questions. Is Jesus real? Does God really care about me? Do you think my parents really love me? Is it normal for parents to fight? Are you my friend? These are tough questions, but questions that need to be answered, especially when considering the things that the campers have faced up to this point in their lives. Although I tried to come up with the best answers possible, my prayer and your prayer was that God would give me, along with all the other counselors and staff, the words to speak truth and love to the campers.

            David’s story begins the moment we were sitting at the table assigning campers to teams and explaining the camp rules. Almost anytime someone said something he would yell out in a loud voice and raise his hands. Repeatedly, he screamed out, laughing and smiling each time. Yes, he was excited to be at camp and yes, he was louder than any other camper I had ever met. Very quickly, however, I began to realize that behind the boisterous and happy face that he put on was a kid with low self-esteem and very few friends. I also learned very quickly that David needed a lot of hugs and a lot of affirmation. David’s background was not unlike the other campers that came to Camp Alandale. If anything, David did not think that his story, in comparison to the other campers’ stories, was very bad at all and hoped to one day be reunited with his father and mother. Still, David needed a lot of love. David held everything together until Thursday afternoon when the walls fell down. We were standing in front of the sinks as tears welled in his eyes and he began to fire off questions like I shared above. It was also then that I got to tell David that I was his friend, but more than that, Jesus was his friend. It was there that I told David that I loved him, but more importantly that God loved him. It was there that I told David that more than having friends, those who believe in Jesus are his brothers and sisters in Christ. These were truths that David needed to hear. Although David continued to look down upon himself and ask these questions throughout the rest of camp, there was joy in my heart when I saw him praising God during the last amphitheater session. Rather than using his voice to yell out and call attention to himself, he was using his voice to praise his Father in heaven. It was even more encouraging that throughout victory circle he continuously called the people around him his brothers and sisters in Christ.

            David’s story at camp last week is very similar to the other campers’ stories. Although, I only have room to tell you David’s story today, I want you to know that many other campers like David faced themselves and their hurt last week and saw that they are loved and cared for by Jesus Christ. Thank you for joining us in this ministry! Praise be to God!

Blessings,
Jeremy Allen
Staff/Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment